Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Time to DIY

So I know that in my little
"About Me" thingy over there -->
it says that I don't DIY. 
And that's normally true.
But, today I got all motherly and I finally started my "nesting process."
Lemme show you.



Yesterday, I purchased these white letters and scrapbook papers from Hobby Lobby in Mankato.
I was kind of hoping to find letters that weren't so
curvy
but, no dice.
Anyways...


I started off by turning the paper AND the letter upside down to trace.
Because my paper choices had lots of black, I figured it would show up easier
on the back.
Plus, I wouldn't have all these stupid pencil marks all over the front.


Voila! After I traced, I had my wonderful mother cut out the letters.
Because I'm not very good horrible with scissors
and can't cut in a straight line to save my life.
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of that.
I'm sure you know what cutting looks like, though.
You're smart.


After the paper was cut, I checked to make sure everything was hunky dory.
I mean, it would be pretty rotten to glue it down and THEN find issues.


Now it's time for your handy dandy Mod Podge.
I also bought this at Hobby Lobby. (It was the smaller of the two bottles.)
And my goodness I had forgotten how smelly this stuff was!
Yuck.
Pour yourself a pretty healthy blob onto a lid or plate.


After you've coated your letter with the glue, press the paper onto it and make sure it lies flat.
We don't like bubbles here.


Add another coat of Mod Podge over the paper...


...and flatten out bubbles again using a popsicle stick.
Avoid using your finger. Otherwise, you'll have that bizarre peely stuff going on when it dries.


Set aside, and let your letters air dry for fifteen minutes...


Now your letter will look glossy. Add 2 - 3 more coats. (Wait 15 minutes between coats to make sure they're nice and dry)
I actually added four coats
but that was because I messed up and poured WAY too much on my lid.

Oh well. More shine for me!


Now, I don't have a picture of the finished product.
Sorry.
It's actually still at my mom's drying.
But!
I can show you a picture of what it's supposed to look like...


Cute, huh? 
I'll make sure to take some pictures when the letters are all hung up on the wall of
Alexa's nursery. YAY!


It was a pretty easy project, overall. But it was VERY time consuming. 
That's probably why I'm not a very craft-oriented person.
I have no patience.
If it doesn't look cute immediately... pssshhht. No, thanks.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting! I just love reading your input. Don't forget to post a link to your blog so that I can visit you, too!