Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Lord delighteth in the song of the heart

I have been such a slacker with my blog lately! Life has gotten the best of me, it seems.

Last week was pretty exciting. I had my own little hospital excursion at dark thirty last Thursday morning. Luckily it was nothing life-threatening, but it was still monstrously painful. But, because of this, I have an increased testimony of the power of the Priesthood. Prayer is sometimes not enough in situations where help is needed now. The Priesthood is absolutely amazing.

I've noticed something. I really miss singing. Not like singing in the shower, but singing. I miss the arias. I miss the head rush of a particularly high note. I miss the music.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." (James 1:17) 

So, why did I stop? Why did I feel the need to stifle the gift the Lord so freely and clearly blessed me with? Jeffery R. Holland said that "we should give the gift of service through our talents." I have started to really take that to heart.

Tonight, while visiting with my YSA leaders in their home, Sheri sat down at the piano and began to play and sing a beautiful song that she had written while she was in college. Alma, her husband, off-handedly said that it would be really neat if we sang a duet sometime. We happily obliged right there on the spot and spent the next half hour or so rummaging through music, stopping to sing the songs we knew well.

I honestly don't know how I could forget so fast and so easily how much music and singing lift me up.

"For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." (D&C 25:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting! I just love reading your input. Don't forget to post a link to your blog so that I can visit you, too!